I don’t know about you, but this time of year is crazy! So many parties, get-togethers, shopping trips, and concerts! Life is usually full without these events—now we need to add more? Yikes! It’s easy to get caught up in the madness. We over-extend, over-commit, and over-eat! We want to go to all the events, help those in need, and enjoy the scrumptious treats. We say, Love . . joy. . . peace to all, but do we really experience this in our personal life? Or do we allow ourselves to become angry, discontent, and annoyed along the way.
This year, try keeping it simple.
Say that tough word (“No”) and stay home to relax and reflect on the reason for the season: Christ, who came to Earth as a baby, to bring us the most wonderful gift of love . . . salvation.
Once you have taken your “time-out” for reflection, get some exercise. With all the hustle, it’s tempting to neglect your health. Don’t do it! You need exercise to relieve stress, burn off the extra calories you consumed, and keep your immune system functioning. Here are a few quick ways to get in the workouts:
- Make an appointment for your workouts and don’t reschedule. Meet a friend or hire a trainer to keep you on track.
- Take the parking spot farthest from your destination so you can get in a brisk walk.
- Take the stairs, not the elevator.
- Break for 15 min each day: do some stretching, squats, planks, supermans, pushups, and jumping jacks. They are simple, easy to remember, and oh so good for you!
- At family get-togethers, play some football, go for a walk as a family, or play some basketball. You will bond more as a family while getting some exercise.
Have a very healthy and Merry Christmas!